top of page

Emotion Support Animal Assistance

Landlords are prohibited from discriminating against individuals with disabilities and are required to make reasonable accommodations.


According to the Americans with Disability Act, an individual with a disability is a person who:

  • Has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities;

  • Has a record of such an impairment; or

  • Is regarded as having such an impairment.

These accommodations may include waiving the "no pet" policy or the pet deposit.  Additionally, CA law requires that those rental applicants who need support are considered in the same way as those who do not.  However, landlords are with their rights to request additional information from those requesting an exemption for emotion support animals. 

In order to be covered by both federal and state law protecting individuals with disabilities, proper documentation is required. You must provide official documentation of your need for an emotion support animal in order to substantiate your request. 

If you are in need of documentation for an emotion support animal, schedule an appointment with Dr. Nyasio for assistance.  You will be scheduled for a one-time appointment in order to assess your needs.

Checklist to prepare for your appointment for documentation for your emotion support animal.

                  Complete pre-screening/intake paperwork

                  Bring any documentation supporting your mental health claim (i.e. medical records)

                  Mentally prepare to disclose sensitive information about your mental health history

                  Bring any documentation (i.e. names and contacts) to whom ESA letter should be addressed

bottom of page